Responsive web pages? Mobile first design? Stay in this post and discover everything you need to know to create an efficient website from the beginning. We tell you what mobile first design is, why it is important and some tips to start it.
Design and development of web pages
In 2021, mobile website traffic is 52.2% and the average time spent on the internet from a device has increased considerably, as well as the volume of searches in relation to desktop searches, according to data extracted from ahrefs.
As these numbers grow and more users spend time on all types of screens. Websites find themselves in the position of making a strategic effort in the design and development of web pages. To adapt to different screen widths and not run the risk of being outmatched by your competitors.
It is important to have a website that automatically adapts to all resolutions and devices.
The mobile first design philosophy consists of making a web page for mobiles first. And adapting the design for larger screens from smaller to larger. It allows you to focus on the most important elements and actions. Create a good user experience and generate the best possible usability.
This method is considered a progressive advance rule. It begins to be created from the device that presents more restrictions to later expand its functions. This forces you to pay more attention to the content, resulting in the creation of practical designs.
With this approach called progressive enhancement, the optimal version will be displayed on the correct screen. And in turn, the so-called elegant degradation will be avoided, which consists of designing a website for the desktop. And gradually eliminating its elements for smaller screens.
This can affect the loss of functionality and strength in the message. Therefore, the mobile first design allows you to create pages for multiple functions smoothly and efficiently. Save time on design and improve productivity.
Responsive design: destock and mobile first design
To learn more about what mobile first design is, we will tell you the essentials about its basis, responsive design.
Responsive design came as a quick and easy solution for adapting web navigability for devices. It is a method of designing and creating web pages that allows them to be adjusted automatically. This meant the elimination of a mobile version of the web and the need to create a specific application. Saving maintenance time, development and implementation costs.
Do you know the two ways to make a responsive design? We discuss it below.
It is designed from the desktop or PC and adapts to different screen sizes. A complete version is created from the beginning, conditioning some functions or contents later for their correct viewing on mobile.
A version is created for the lower browser, it is usually mobile. It includes the most basic functions and features and add-ons. Effects and interactions are being added to improve the computer experience.
Advantages of mobile first design
The implementation of the mobile design first philosophy has several benefits, among which we find:
- Ease of navigation: a properly planned design for mobile devices guarantees a smooth experience for the user. The web will be displayed optimally regardless of how it is accessed.
- Solid foundation: creating by designing mobile devices allows you to generate a foundation to which you can add functions.
- Prioritized and Immediate Content: Designs will be content-centric by displaying key information and prioritizing design functionality. In this way, users have access to the information they are looking for immediately and easily.
- Attract customers: mobile implementation favors SEO positioning. Google benefits device-optimized websites, so visibility will be improved.
- Better loading speed: any type of loading delay or navigation problems can cause the user to lose interest in our website. To avoid this, there is the design of mobile devices as the first option. The mobile browser processes fewer rules because it has no conditions and it manages to load the page faster.
How to implement mobile first design
The first thing is to know what CSS is and how it is interpreted by browsers.
CSS or style sheets is the language that tells the browser the style that each of the elements that make up a page will adopt. To carry out the design of responsive web pages and the modifications according to the corresponding device. It is necessary to give conditional indications based on the break points, which are the widths of the screens.
It is used to indicate to the browser the screen size from where we want the changes to be made and what we want to show.
However, there is much more in terms of CSS and how to optimize it to favor SEO results. It is a primary factor in file optimization that will have a very favorable impact on web load.
Tips to get started
- It must respond to the user’s search: provide the information quickly and clearly in the upper half of the page.
- Grab the user’s attention: attractive and bright images considering the size of mobile devices. Add clear and eye-catching calls to action.
- Eliminate non-essential distractions: simplify elements using easy-to-read fonts or eliminate pop-ups. Everything has to be easy and accessible.
- Perform tests: before publishing the web, test its visualization and correct operation.
Today, mobile first design is fundamental, so don’t forget it. When you consider launching or modifying your business website, think about mobile!